The online catalogue of The Leiden Collection provides the first scholarly overview of the remarkable collection of Dutch and Flemish paintings and drawings assembled by Thomas S. Kaplan and his wife, Daphne Recanati Kaplan. The catalogue, launched in January 2017, and edited by Arthur K. Wheelock Jr., presents the most current, in-depth information about more than 175 paintings and drawings from the Collection.
The catalogue contains Artist Biographies with selected literature for each of the artists represented in the Collection. The Artwork Entries discuss each work, and include comparative illustrations, endnotes, and relevant Iconclass terms. Each entry also includes tabs that contain bibliographic references, provenance information, and a technical summary of the artwork. In addition, four Scholarly Essays explore topics germane to the Collection. These Artist Biographies, Entries, and Essays were written by over 20 internationally renowned scholars.
The catalogue has been archived so that a permanent record of these texts will always be available. New archived versions of individual Biographies, Entries, and Essays will occur when a substantive change to the narrative occurs. Subsequent editions of the catalogue will also be archived.
Navigating the Site:
About opens a dropdown with tabs providing access to a range of information about the Collection and its background. A form to Contact the Collection is accessible via this dropdown.
Collection opens a dropdown with access to:
- The Catalogue of artworks in The Leiden Collection, which can be explored in a Grid or Gallery view. Artwork Entries can by accessed from both views.
- The Leiden Viewer is accessible via the Artwork Entries, and facilitates the exploration of high resolution artwork images. The Leiden Collection uses IIIF (International Image Interoperability Framework), which allows for the sharing of digital image data across technology systems, providing the opportunity to view and compare images from institutions around the world that have implemented this technology. The artwork manifest can be accessed by clicking the IIIF logo in the Leiden Viewer, and copying and pasting the manifest link into any IIIF-compatible viewer.
- A list of Artists represented in The Leiden Collection, from which Artist Biographies can be accessed.
- Four thematic Scholarly Essays.
- A Bibliography of references found in the catalogue.
- A Glossary of terms found throughout the catalogue.
- Videos about artworks, technical information, and thematic topics pertaining to The Leiden Collection.
- The biographies of the Authors who contributed to the catalogue.
- An Archive containing printable PDF’s of each biography, entry, and essay with preformatted citations.
Exhibitions provides information about the ongoing exhibition program of The Leiden Collection.
News & Media provides access to media coverage about The Leiden Collection and its exhibition program.